Mujadra & Sleek
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coarse wheat (bulgur) large size
- 1 cup diced onion (2 medium onions)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs. kale finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarse wheat (bulgur)
- 1 cup diced onions (2 medium onions)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Mujadra: Wash and drain lentils. Place lentils and 2 cups water into a saucepan. Cover and cook for approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain bulgur, add to lentils with 1 tsp salt (pepper optional), stirring mixture gently. Cover and simmer for five minutes.
- Brown onions in olive oil in frying pan until dark brown. Add cooked onions and oil to lentil and wheat mixture, again stirring gently to mix.
- Sleek: Wash and drain black-eyed peas. Place black-eyed peas and water in saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and cook for 6 minutes. Rinse and drain the bulgur wheat and add to the saucepan. Stir to mix all ingredients. Drain in colander to remove any liquid.
- Brown onions in olive oil in large frying pan until dark brown. Add the drained mixture of kale, peas and wheat with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat, uncovered for 5 minutes.