This multigrain bread recipe from Martha Stewart makes two loaves.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast (two 1/4-ounce envelopes)
- 2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for bowl and pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface and dusting
- 2 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1/3 cups cooked wheat berries
- 1 cup soaked bulgur
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1/2 cup flaxseed, plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds plus, 2 tablespoons for topping
- 1 large egg white
- Nonstick cooking spray
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup water. Add 2 teaspoons honey. Whisk until yeast dissolves. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add butter and remaining 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water and 3 tablespoons honey. Whisk together all-purpose, whole-wheat, and rye flours with salt; add 3 cups to yeast mixture. Mix on low speed until smooth. Add remaining 3 1/4 cups flour mixture, 1 cup at a time. Add wheat berries, bulgur, 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup flaxseed, and 1/3 cup sunflower seeds; mix on low to combine. Continue mixing until dough comes away from sides of bowl and forms a ragged, slightly sticky ball.
- Butter a large bowl. Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic but still slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. Shape into a ball. Transfer to prepared bowl; cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough stand in a warm place until it doubled in volume (it should not spring back when pressed), about 1 hour. Butter two 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pans. Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, shape into a 7-by-7-inch square. Fold dough into thirds; press seam to adhere and pinch ends to seal. Place seam side down in loaf pan. Repeat process with remaining piece of dough.
- In a small bowl, mix egg white with 1 teaspoon water and brush mixture over tops of loaves; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons rolled oats, remaining 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, and remaining 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds.
- Spray two pieces of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray; drape loaves with prepared plastic wrap and let stand until dough rises about 1 inch above tops of pans, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees for conventional, 425 degrees for convection. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees (conventional) or 375 degrees (convection).
- Uncover loaves and transfer to oven. Bake, rotating pans after 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown and internal temperature reaches 205 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes total. Transfer to wire racks. Let cool slightly; turn out loaves. Let cool completely before slicing.