Mumbai Meatballs with Chutney-Yogurt Dipping Sauce
Try this recipe for mumbai meatballs with chutney-yogurt sauce for a great Indian appetizer during any time of year. Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb. ground turkey chicken or beef
- 1 slice wheat or white bread moistened with water
- 1/4 small yellow or white onion minced (1/4 cup)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (or use ground cumin or 1 tsp. of each if you like more spice)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (an Indian spice blend) (if you can’t find it use extra curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or ginger or 1/4 tsp. ground garlic or ginger (or both if you like more flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup mango chutney or any variety (or use apricot jam if you can’t find chutney) to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the meat in a medium bowl and crumble in the moistened bread with your fingers. Add the next 7 ingredients (onions through salt) mix thoroughly. (At this point you can refrigerate it for up to 24 hours or proceed with the recipe.)
- Using wet hands, form the mixture into 25 – 30 meatballs, about 1 1/2-inches wide. Put the meatballs on a large baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, and bake them for 20 – 25 minutes until they are cooked through (cut a large meatball in half to see if it is brown and firm throughout).
- While the meatballs bake, combine the yogurt and chutney in a small bowl. Serve the meatballs on toothpicks or over rice.