Mushroom Breakfast Casserole
A delicious warm savory mushroom breakfast casserole made to be a vegetarian breakfast option.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices white bread, cubed in large pieces
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Gruyere)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the oil to a medium skillet and sauté the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the bread in an even layer in the dish followed by the mushrooms and onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream milk, mustard, salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix in the cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread and mushrooms.
- Bake the casserole for 40-50 minutes until nice and golden brown. The center of the casserole should not be jiggly.