Mushroom Kale Dip
The key to this mushroom kale dip is sautéing the mushrooms and kale before they’re mixed in with the cheese. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
Yield: Serves 4-6 (as an appetizer)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 large leaves of kale, removed from the stems
- 4 ounces diced mushrooms (I used a mix of shiitake and cremini mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan-Reggiano
- 1 cup grated low-moisture mozzarella, plus more for topping
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Tortilla chips or slices of bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large saucepan, set over medium heat, add the oill to the pan. When the oil is warm, add the shallot, garlic clove, kale and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the kale has wilted and mushrooms have cooked.
- To a large bowl, add the parmesan, mozzarella and cream cheese. Mix together until smooth-ish. Add the reserved mushroom and kale mixture, red pepper flakes and a few pinches of salt. Mix until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish. Top with a handful of mozzarella and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown. Note: If you'd like the cheese to be a bit more golden brown, like mine, place it under the broiler for 2 minutes, being sure you're watching it the entire time.