This mushroom ragu recipe appears in the "Mushrooms" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, quartered, such as shiitake and cremini
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 sprig fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
- Place porcini mushrooms in a small shallow bowl with just enough hot water to cover. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Place onion in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Place carrots and celery in bowl of food processor; process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl (separate from onion) and set aside. Place mixed mushrooms in bowl of food processor; process until finely chopped; set aside.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring, until onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Add carrots and celery; stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain porcini mushrooms and finely chop. Add to pot along with chopped mixed mushrooms. Cook stirring occasionally, until liquid is released and mushrooms are browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly reduced, 6 minutes. Place basil, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme on a piece of cheesecloth, tying with kitchen twine to enclose; add to pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 1 hour.
- Add 1 cup water and continue cooking for an additional 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water, if desired, and transfer to a large bowl. Add mushroom ragu and toss to combine. Stir in cheese and enough of the pasta water to form a sauce. Garnish with additional cheese and parsley.