Naples via Chicago Meat Sauce
Laura of Des Moines, Iowa submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour
Total time: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 pound ground beef (a fattier ground beef like 85%)
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small can Contadina tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 large can (about 16 ounces) whole tomatoes, broken up
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- Brown ½ pound of hamburger (probably a fattier meat like 85%).
- As it cooks, add ½ chopped white onion until translucent and a couple chopped garlic cloves. (Don't burn the garlic.) Drain.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 small can tomato paste; fill that can up with water and add.
- Add 1 regular can (about 16 ounces) whole tomatoes; break up those tomatoes. Then fill that can with water and add. Simmer.
- Add dried basil, oregano, and fennel seeds. Add 2 large bay leaves. Simmer with lid on but partially ajar. (If it becomes too thick, add a little water.
- Before serving, fish the bay leaves out. Taste as it cooks to see if the spices are right.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes at the table. It freezes well.