New Year’s Beans On Toast
Looking for a special breakfast recipe that will revive you on a bleary-eyed winter morning? White beans and pesto turn New Year’s Beans on Toast into a new take on the English classic.
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil divided
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper or a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 15.5-ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 slices rye or whole wheat bread
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/4 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- To poach the eggs, heat a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Break eggs into individual small bowls.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute the garlic and jalapeno until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir the white beans, 2 more tablespoons olive oil, oregano, and turmeric into the garlic mixture; cook about 5 minutes, stirring gently on occasion, You don’t want to mash the beans. Stir the pesto into the mixture and remove the skillet from the heat; season to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile, swirl the boiling water in the saucepan and drop the eggs in one at a time. Try to time this so the eggs are done when the beans are hot. Cook eggs to desired firmness, about 3 minutes. When the eggs hit the water, pop the bread in the toaster.
- Top each slice of rye toast with half of the bean mixture. Drizzle with a squeeze of lemon juice. Remove eggs from saucepan with a slotted spoon and slide each egg onto the beans. Sprinkle with pepper, paprika and a dash of Parmesan. Serve immediately.