Nona’s Stuffed Peppers
Jeanne from Greenfield, Massachusetts submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Total time: 2 Hours
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 2 boxes chopped frozen spinach
- about 10 – 12 Italian peppers (the narrow, long light green kind)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 – 3 inches of kielbasa finely cubed/chopped or few slices Italian salami chopped, (optional, this just gives it a little spice and flavor)
- 2 eggs (or maybe just one if they are jumbo size)
- 1 ½ - 2 cups unflavored bread crumbs
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- milk as needed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Defrost the frozen spinach, or cook in microwave until no longer frozen.
- Drain spinach very well, then squeeze all the water out with your hands. It should be as dry as possible. Loosen the ‘clump’ of spinach and put in large bowl.
- Chop onion and garlic as small as possible (it would be good to use a hand chopper, or a ‘mini’ food processor/chopper). Add to the bowl with the spinach.
- Cut the kielbasa into very small pieces. It is easiest to cut thin slices lengthwise, then stack them and cut thin slices lengthwise on the other side so you have long narrow strips. Then stack the strips and cut across the strips so you get small cubes. Add to the bowl with the spinach.
- Add the eggs, bread crumbs, cheese – mix well.
- Add enough milk to make it stick together a little bit, but it should not be mushy – it should be kind of dry.
- Taste to see if you need to add salt or pepper.
- Wash the Italian peppers, then cut lengthwise and remove the cores/seeds.
- Fill the pepper halves with the stuffing.
- Spray a baking pan with Pam, put the peppers on the baking pan.
- Drizzle a very little bit of olive oil over the peppers, or spray with Pam.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 1-2 hours at 350 degrees. Take off the foil and bake about 20 more minutes until they get golden brown.