Nutella Dipped Espresso Shortbread Cookies with Sea Salt
This chocolate dessert is the perfect ending to a great meal. Salty and sweet with a great crunch, these pair wonderfully with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Food blogger Katie Barszcz of Small Boston Kitchen shares this recipe as a Valentine’s Day idea.
- Cookies Ingredients
- 2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp salt
- For the Nutella
- ½ cup Nutella
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 TBS Confectioner’s sugar
- Sea Salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 x 9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter, flours and sugar until it starts to come together. Add the espresso powder and salt and continue to mix until a dough is formed.
- With wet fingertips, press the cookie batter into an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Cool the cookies a bit and then gently remove from pan.
- While they are still slightly warm, cut them into 3 inch sticks and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake again for another 5-10 minutes or until the edges and bottoms are golden brown. Set aside to cool completely.
- Over a double boiler, combine the Nutella, chocolate chips, milk and Confectioner’s sugar. Continuously stir until all of the chocolate melts.
- Dip one end of the cooled cookies into the warm Nutella mixture and then sprinkle with sea salt. Place onto a cooling rack and let them cool completely. These can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for a couple of days.