- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried dates chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Add chopped nuts to make these cookies even crunchier. After beating in the dry ingredients, stir up to one cup of pecans, walnuts, or almonds into the dough. To make the cookies all the same size, use a measuring tablespoon to scoop the dough, then level off.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until smooth. Add both sugars, and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Gradually add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Drop batter by the tablespoon about 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.