Ochazuke (Japanese Tea Rice)
Prepare the rice and salmon ahead of time to put this traditional Japanese dish together quickly in the morning. (Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- 11 ounces (300 grams) salmon
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- herbs (such as mitsuba, shiso or scallions)
- meyer lemon zest
- 1 pot green tea
- Sprinkle the salt evenly over all surfaces of the salmon, and let it cure overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, grill the salmon on a wire rack under the broiler until cooked through. Break the salmon up into bite-size pieces, removing and discarding any skin and bone.
- Prepare the rice by adding it to a large bowl and pouring boiling water over it. Stir to break up any clumps, and then strain the rice, discarding the water.
- Portion the rice into two bowls and top with the salmon, herbs and lemon zest.
- Brew the tea, and pour it over the rice. Stir together and eat with Japanese pickles.