Octopus & Lamb Gyros
You can make gyros out of your favorite kind of meat or seafood
- Ingredients for Gyro Marinade
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme minced
- 2 lemons zested
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leg of lamb trimmed of fat and silverskin, cubed
- 1 octopus cleaned
- 2 ounces olive oil divided
- pita bread
- 2 tomato slices per gyro
- mixed greens
- thinly sliced red onion
- 2-3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Ingredients for Tzatziki Sauce
- 1-2 English cucumbers
- 1 quart Greek yogurt
- 4-5 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1-2 ounces apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 ounces olive oil
- 1 ounce honey
- kosher salt to taste
- Combine marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and add desired meat (lamb, pork, chicken, octopus or prawns) and let marinate for a minimum of 6 hours. Sauté meat or skewer and grill.
- Marinate your meat a day ahead.
- In each of two sauté pans, heat 1 ounce olive oil until hot. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Flip and brown all sides, about 3 minutes. For the octopus, place the whole thing in the pan, sauté until crispy and turn. Chop octopus into small pieces.
- Assemble the gyros. Place pita over a folded triangle of aluminum foil. Place accoutrements (greens, tomatoes, onion and feta) over whole pita. Arrange meat on top and fold pita side to side, then roll up and wrap in foil. Garnish with Tzatziki sauce.
- Strain yogurt to get as much liquid out as possible. This will take about 2 hours.
- Grate cucumbers on a large grater. Squeeze liquid out. Add honey, garlic and cider vinegar. Add dill and strained yogurt. Mix with a whisk. Add salt and a drizzle of olive oil; mix. Pour back into strainer, cover and let sit 12 to 24 hours to re-strain.