Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Okonomiyaki is classic Japanese street food that is often compared to Japanese pancakes. Okonomiyaki recipes can vary in ingredients. Food blogger Marc Matusmoto shares his ingredient recommendations in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
Yield: 2 large pancakes (serves 3-4)
- 500 grams cabbage (18 ounces or about half a head)
- 300 grams other vegetables, diced (11 ounces)
- 200 grams meat, poultry, or seafood, diced (7 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- condiments such as Chuno sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup and sriracha
- 1 packet shaved bonito flakes (optional)
- Remove the core from the cabbage, and then use a mandolin or sharp knife to slice it into thin ribbons. Add the cabbage to a large bowl along with the other vegetables and meat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and cold water together. Add the flour and salt, and then whisk until there are no lumps left.
- Pour this mixture over the cabbage and vegetables, and then stir together until it's well combined.
- Split the oil between 9" frying pans. Heat over medium heat until hot. Split the cabbage mixture between the two pans, then flatten out the tops into an even round pancake. Turn the heat down to medium low, cover the pans with lids, and let them steam for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, lift up an edge of a pancake with a spatula and check and see if it's browned, if not, cover and let it cook until the bottom is a golden brown.
- Flip the pancake over. Ideally you'll want to flip it in the pan with a flick of the wrist, but if you don't have confidence in your flipping abilities, use two spatulas and carefully flip it over. You can also flip it into another preheated pan, but to make 2 at once, you’d need 4 frying pans of the same size.
- Press down on the pancake to compress the vegetables on the other side, and let it fry uncovered until the second side is browned.
- Transfer your okonomiyaki to a plate, and then cover with your desired condiments. Top with the bonito flakes and serve.