Onion Poppyseed Rolls
By Rose Zawid
I have always wanted to find this recipe. It used to be served in bakeries on the Lower East Side. Now each Friday I try to make it with half my challah dough.
Yield: 12 onion poppyseed rolls
- 1 package active dry yeast (1 scant tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons plus ½ cup sugar
- 3/4 cups lukewarm water (about)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1½ teaspoons of the sugar in the warm water.
- Whisk the oil into the yeast, then beat 2 of the eggs, one at a time, with the remaining sugar and salt. Gradually add the flour. When the dough holds together, it is ready for kneading. (You can also use a mixer with a dough hook both for the mixing and kneading.)
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Clean out the bowl and grease it, then return the dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until almost doubled in size. The dough may also rise in an oven that has been warmed to 150 degrees then turned off.
- Punch down the dough, cover, and let rise again in a warm place for another half hour. Roll out the challah dough to a rectangle about 12 by 18 inches or as thin as you can.
- Sprinkle the onions, the poppy seeds, and the coarse salt over the dough, leaving a one-inch border. Using a pastry brush, brush the border of the dough with the vegetable oil. Then, roll the dough up from the long side into a jelly roll. The dough will be very malleable. Pinch the ends closed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 12 muffin tins with the remaining tablespoon vegetable oil. Using a dough cutter, cut the dough into at least 12 rounds and place the rolls into the tins, cut side on top. Mix the remaining egg with a little water and brush over the rolls. Let rise another half hour. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and serve warm.