- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in between, until almost melted; do not overheat. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; beat in melted chocolate. Mix in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 2 to 3 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are shiny and crackly yet soft in centers, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 10 minutes; with a thin metal spatula, transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Using 1 level tablespoon per cookie, roll dough into balls. Drop onto prepared sheets, at least 1 inch apart. Garnish each cookie with a reserved almond (page 100). In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white with 1 teaspoon water; brush over cookies (discard excess white).