- 3 parts Advocaat (Dutch/Belgian eggnog liqueur)
- 3 parts ESB ale (Extra Special/Strong Bitter)
- 1 part (or to taste) spiced brown sugar syrup (recipe below)
- Top with grated nutmeg
- For the Spiced Brown Sugar Syrup, dissolve 2 cups light brown or evaporated cane sugar into 1 cup water over low heat.
- Add a ¼ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground ginger.
- Stir until combined, and allow to cool.
- Simply add all ingredients to a glass of any shape or sort and stir to combine. Some may like a cube or two of ice. Grate a bit of fresh nutmeg over the top.
Lesley Jacobs Solmonson, a cocktail blogger, prefers homemade advocaat, but says store-bought advocaat will work fine. Find an advocaat recipe on the 12 Bottle Bar website.
For the ale, any quality ESB with a nice bite should work – whatever ale used should not get lost in the mixture.