Oysters on the Half Shell with Pickled Serrano Peppers
Impress your guests with oysters on the half shell with serrano peppers, cranberries, and Swiss chard. Recipe shared by Chef Frank McClelland on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
- 1 ½ cup Serrano Peppers
- 2 cups Cranberries
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 15 leaves of Swiss Chard
- 3 T EVOO
- 1 T Mint
- 1T Sage
- 1T Lemon Verbena
- 1 T Flowering Thyme
- 8 fresh oysters
- 1 Amber ale
- Stew the cranberries by placing them in a sauce pan with enough water to cover the berries. Cook down until it thickens like a sauce. Reserve the berries in a bowl and keep juice in pan. Take the juice and make a pickle by adding the Serrano peppers, ½ of the yellow onion, mint, sage, thyme and lemon verbena.
- Next, remove the ribs from the Swiss chard. Then add 3 T of olive oil to a large frying pan. Add the remaining ½ onion and Swiss chard. Add a pinch of sea salt and dried rosemary. Finally add a quarter cup of amber ale and cook down.
- Shuck the oysters from the under belly. Reserve the Oyster with ½ of shell.
- Add a dab of the mixture to each oyster and sprinkle ale on top of each.
- To Plate: Create a circle of 1 piece of Swiss chard in a nest shape. Place oyster on top.