Paccheri with Maitake and Basil
Just because some pastas are simple doesn't mean they have to be boring and this fantastic quick paccheri with maitake pasta is a mouthful of delicious fun. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
- 5.6 ounces Paccheri (or your favorite pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4.2 ounces maitake mushrooms (chopped)
- 3.2 ounces onion (1/2 small onion, finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- basil (hand torn)
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil and broil the pasta for 1 minute less than the package directions.
- Heat a frying pan until hot and then add the olive oil, maitake mushrooms, onion, fennel seeds, and salt. Fry the mixture until the mushrooms start to brown and the mixture is very fragrant.
- When the pasta has about 2 minutes left to go, add the white wine and reduce until the vapors no-longer smell like alcohol. Add the cream and boil to make a thick sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pasta directly to the pan and add the red pepper flakes and basil, tossing to distribute evenly. If there is not enough sauce you can add some of the boiling liquid from the pasta as needed.