Sheila Lukin's recipe for disapora chicken.
- 1/2 cup good quality red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 head fresh garlic peeled and pureed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup ripe pitted olive halved
- 5 lbs. of boneless and skinned chicken breasts halved
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup good red wine
- 8 shallots chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes halved
- 2 16-ounce cans artichoke hearts drained
- In a 9- by 12-inch or similar size baking dish, mix the wine vinegar, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, the oregano, parsley, garlic, kosher salt, pepper, bay leaves, and olives. Add the chicken breasts and marinate, covered with foil, in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day sprinkle with the brown sugar and red wine. Bake for 1 hour, covered, in a preheated 350-degree oven. Cool.
- Remove the chicken breasts and cut into bite-size chunks and return to the baking dish.
- In a frying pan saute the shallots in the margarine and remaining tablespoon olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
- Pour the sun-dried tomatoes mixture over the chicken and reheat in the 350-oven for about 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves and serve with a large green salad, saffron rice, and a good bottle of red wine.