Panko Crusted Oysters with Sambal Aioli
Discover why oysters make a perfect appetizer. This oyster recipe comes from Simply Ming, hosted by award-winning chef Ming Tsai.
Yield: 4 servings (as an appetizer)
- 8 oysters, removed from shells
- 1 egg, beaten in small bowl
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon togorashi
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, sliced thin (1 teaspoon reserved for garnish)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sambal
- mixed sea greens for garnish
- Squeeze of lemon
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a small shallow bowl, mix the panko crumbs and togorashi until well combined. Season mixture with salt and pepper. Place the flour and eggs in shallow bowls as well.
- Heat a large, heavy sauté pan over high heat. Add 1/2 inch of the oil and heat. One at a time, dredge the oysters in the flour, shaking off the excess. Dip the oysters in the eggs and then the panko, and place into fry pan. Turning once, cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sambal and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a bed of greens on the center of a plate. Arrange the fried oysters on the greens. Top each oyster with a dollop of aioli. Squeeze lemon over all pieces. Garnish with remaining chives.