Parmesan Grits with Red Eye Gravy
Need a little Southern Comfort food? This this is the gravy for you! Make sure to have a slice of fresh cornbread or a large biscuit for dipping. (Napkins are optional!)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cups milk
- 1 cups quick cooking yellow grits
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- Ham diced
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 1 cups green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme minced
- 1 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup Madeira
- 2 teaspoons Corn starch
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, over medium high heat, bring first four ingredients to a boil, constantly whisking. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until grits are creamy, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese and whisk until melted.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add ham and sauté till brown, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, pepper onions and thyme, sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes and hot pepper sauce bring to a boil.
- In a small mixing bowl combine Madeira and cornstarch, add to the sauce. Stirring constantly, reduce heat until the sauce begins to thicken, about three minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.