Parmesan Pecan Fried Catfish
Dredged in pecans, cheese, and breadcrumbs, catfish has never tasted so good. Top it off with a homemade pickled okra salsa and it will surely be the talk of the dinner table. Watch Donna Reynolds make fried catfish in this video clip from Carolina Outdoor Journal.
- 2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Southern Chicken Bake
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 5 whole pickled okra, sliced
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained
- Place catfish and buttermilk in a large zip-top plastic baggie. Seal and chill 1 hour. Remove catfish from buttermilk, discard buttermilk.
- Combine pecans, cheese, chicken bake, and breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Dredge catfish in mixture turning to coat well on both sides. Shake off excess and arrange on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake catfish for 10 minutes in a 400 degree pre-heated oven. Remove from oven and serve with pickled okra salsa.
- Pulse okra, sweet onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, and half the tomatoes in a food processor 4 to 6 times or until thoroughly combined. Stir in remaining diced tomatoes.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill. Store in refrigerator up to 7 days. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.