Parsnips and Potatoes Bake
A delicious twist on potatoes au gratin. (Recipe and Photo Credit: Michele Frank)
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp basil, finely chopped
- Salt and ground pepper
- 8 oz Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Butter to rub on the casserole dish
- Preheat the oven to 350˚. Butter the bottom of a casserole dish, and add the minced garlic. On top of the garlic, arrange a layer of thinly sliced potatoes and parsnips. Season with a sprinkling of basil, salt, and pepper. Cover with another layer of potatoes and parsnips and season. Continue the layering process until all vegetables are in the casserole dish.
- Add Swiss cheese and half-and-half to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the cheese is completely melted, and pour it over the casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and heat the broiler. Add the Parmesan cheese to the top and place under the broiler for 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for a couple of minutes before serving.