Jane from Tucson, Arizona submitted this recipe which was a winner in our Italian recipe contest judged by Mary Ann Esposito of Ciao Italia.
Prep time: 45 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 pound italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion -- sliced
- 3 red bell peppers -- roasted, peeled and sliced julienne (liquid reserved if possible)
- 8 ounce mushroom -- sliced
- 2 red chili peppers -- dried
- 2 bunches Italian parsley
- 1 28 ounce canned tomatoes -- drained and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound linguine
- 1 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese -- grated
- 1 teaspoon (or to taste) aleppo pepper
- Roast peppers. Cool, peel and slice julienne. Reserve. Quarter canned tomatoes and drain in colander.
- In a Cuisinart, drop in garlic cloves to finely mince. Add parsley and process until minced.
- In a large, lidded skillet (I use a 6 quart), saute whole sausage in oil until nicely browned. Remove from pan, cool and slice. To oil, add dried chile pepper, the tomatoes that have been quartered, parsley, onion, mushrooms, oregano, basil and garlic to pan. Saute about 15 minutes on low, keeping partially covered. Add aleppo pepper. There is not much sauce, so make sure it doesn't scorch.
- Add julienned peppers with liquid, sliced sausage and cook till heated thru. Cook pasta al dente. Immediately add drained pasta to meat/vegetable mixture and combine.