Paul Hollywood’s Tsoureki- Greek Easter Bread
Hardboiled eggs dyed red and pressed into the Tsoureki Greek Easter Bread give its distinctive look for Paul's recipe on Masterclass.
- 500g / 1 lb 2 oz strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 60g butter, softened
- 75g caster sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of mastika
- Pinch of mechlebe
- Handful of sultanas
- 5 fl oz milk
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 15g yeast
- 3 eggs, hardboiled in their shells with red food colouring
- 1 egg, beaten, for eggwash
- Put the flour into a large bowl, add all the other ingredients except the yeast, water and eggs and mix together briefly. Dilute the yeast in a little warm water and add to the mixture. Slowly add the remaining warm water, mixing it in as you do, until you have a soft dough consistency.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until you have a pliable dough. Put the dough back in the bowl and leave to rest for 1 hour.
- Line a baking tray. Divide the dough into two (three? For the holy trinity?) and roll into strips. Plait the strips together, put on the baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Brush the top of the bread with eggwash and place the colored eggs along the top of the bread. Bake for 25 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips/Techniques(taken from 100 Great Breads, by Paul Hollywood)