Paul’s Chocolate and Cherry Loaf
This chocolate and cherry loaf recipe is Paul's interpretation of the signature challenge in the Advanced Dough episode of Season 1 of The Great British Baking Show. It is explained in further detail by Paul in Season 1 Masterclass: Part 4.
- 500g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp salt
- 30ml olive oil
- 10g fast action yeast
- 320ml cold water
- 390g jar black cherries, drained
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- 100g white chocolate chips
- Put the flour into a bowl with the salt, olive oil and yeast. Slowly add the water and mix by hand until the dough is pliable.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 4 – 7 minutes. Add the cherries to the dough, (you may need to add a little more flour if the mix becomes too sloppy), then add the chocolate chips.
- Mix well, adding a little flour if the dough becomes too soft. Put the dough back in the bowl and leave to rest for 1 – 1½ hours until doubled in size.
- Dredge a baking tray with flour. Shape the dough into a 2 strand plait and place on the baking tray. Dust with flour, place in a large plastic bag and leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375F and bake for a further 20-25 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips/TechniquesNote: This recipe contains U.K. measurements and may require conversions to U.S. measurements. It has also not been professionally tested.