Pear and Stilton Tea Sandwich
You might be able to finish one tiny triangle in two bites, but these classic tea sandwiches have a rich, hearty flavor and are quite satisfying with a steamy cup of your favorite tea.
Yield: 2-3 servings; makes 16 triangle tea sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon of whipped butter brought to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons of whipped cream cheese brought to room temperature, divided
- Dash of pepper
- 4 slices soft white bread
- 1 thinly sliced pear cored and seeded
- 4 tablespoons crumbled Stilton cheese
- 4 slices soft wheat bread
- In a bowl, combine whipped butter and 2 tablespoons of cream cheese with a dash of pepper. Cover 1 slice of white bread with a thin layer of the butter-cream cheese mixture and add 2 slices of pear (or enough to cover bread) and top with 1 tablespoon of Stilton.
- Cover 1 slice of wheat bread with a thin layer of the cream cheese and place on top of the white bread.
- Cut the crusts off (an electric knife is great for this), and then cut sandwich into 4 small triangles.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Tips/TechniquesHint: If you are not serving the sandwiches immediately, add a squirt of lemon to the pear to prevent browning and cover the sandwich with a damp (not wet) cloth to prevent the sandwiches from drying out.
Stand sandwiches up on cut, crustless edge and serve on a cake plate or 2-tiered serving piece. (Lovejoy's Attic has many to choose from!) Garnish with cucumber rounds.
China Rose Petal tea.