Pecan Pie Bars
Pecan pie is a fixture at many holiday dinners, and now you can get the same taste in an easy bar version. Pecan Pie Bars are a delicious indulgence and a perfect baked gift for friends and neighbors.
- Ingredients for Topping
- 2-1/2 cups pecans
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum or rum extract
- Ingredients for Base
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter cut into bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Toast whole pecans for 7 to 8 minutes until fragrant. Break into pieces when cool.
- Prepare the base first. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press mixture evenly into pan. Use a piece of plastic wrap to help press the dough down evenly.
- Bake at for 17 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan. Bring just to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently. Remove from heat and whisk one-fourth of hot mixture into beaten eggs to temper; add to remaining hot mixture. Stir in pecan pieces, vanilla and rum, coating pecans completely. Pour filling over crust.
- Bake for 34 to 35 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.