A perfect steak is the highest quality of meat as you can afford. Prime beef is the highest quality, then comes Choice then Select. Take your steaks out of refrigeration 30 minutes before you cook them.
- 4-6 ounce tenderloin filets
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1-teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to coat filets
- Remove filets from refrigeration.
- Season each filets with garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, use the olive oil to massage the spice into the beef.
- When the steaks are room temperature, place a cast iron skillet over high heat to get really hot.
- Sear filets on both sides turning only once.
- Finish in a 325-degree oven to your own doneness.
Tips/TechniquesA 2 inch thick filet will be “blue” as we call it in the business, cool in the middle and very rare without going to the oven. 2 minutes in the oven you have rare, 4 minutes medium rare and 6-8 minutes you will have medium done. After that…well more done.