This Pho Salad incorporates all the textures and flavors of Pho in a satisfying salad that requires very little time around the stove. (Recipe Credit: Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes.)
- 3.5 ounces banh pho (thin rice noodles)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4.75 ounces thinly sliced beef
- 1.75 ounces red onion (1/4 small onion, thinly sliced)
- 2.8 ounces bean sprouts
- 1 handful cilantro (leaves only)
- 1 handful Thai basil (leaves only)
- pickled chili peppers or sriracha to taste
- Soak the banh pho in water for 1 hour to rehydrate.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the vegetable oil, hoisin sauce, lime juice, fish sauce and five spice powder.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Drain the rehydrated noodles and add to the boiling water. Cook until (tender 1 1/2 to 2 minutes). Use tongs to transfer the noodles to a strainer and wash under cold water until chilled.
- Prepare a bowl of ice water and then poach the thinly sliced beef in the boiling water until medium rare. Be careful not to overcook the beef or it will get tough. When the beef is done, transfer it to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking immediately.
- Drain the beef and then add it to a bowl along with the noodles, red onion, bean sprouts, cilantro and basil. Pour the dressing over and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve with pickled chili peppers or sriracha.