Pho: Soup from Vietnam
Throughout the month of March, PBS KIDS will showcase games, printable activities, and learning resources that shine a spotlight on global cultures. Keep up with the latest around-the-world adventures on PBS KIDS and if you liked these dishes, try making more rice and noodle dishes.
- 8 ounces dried rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions; drain well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot with lid over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Next, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Add garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken stock, hoisin sauce and fish sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with rice noodles and chicken, garnished with onion, bean sprouts, cilantro, mint, and limes if you wish. Serve and enjoy!