- 1 pound canned almond paste
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup pine nuts (optional)
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar, or as needed (optional)
- Arrange one rack in the upper third of the oven and the other in the lower third.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Crumble the almond paste into a mixing bowl.
- Beat with a handheld electric mixer till finely crumbled.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the almond paste and continue to beat until the sugar is incorporated.
- Beat in the egg whites, one at a time and continue beating until the batter is smooth.
- If using the pine nuts, spread them out on a plate.
- Pinch off a tablespoon-size piece of dough and roll between your palms to form a ball.
- Roll ball in pine nuts or just place it on the baking sheet if you want plain cookies. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies until lightly browned and soft and springy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely on wire racks before serving.
- The cookies can be stored at room temperature for up to a week. The plain cookies can be dusted with confectioners’ sugar before serving.