Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Maraschino Cherries
Recipe by Amy Sherman
- 1 large can pineapple crushed or sliced
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Drain the juice from the can of pineapple.
- Sift 2 cups flour. Sift again with 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter, gradually add 1 cup sugar; cream well.
- Beat yolks and whites of eggs separately. Add yolks to creamed mixture, then add flour and milk alternately, mixing well.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites and vanilla.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan.
- Spread 1 cup brown sugar over the pan.
- Add pineapple, placing rings closely together in an attractive pattern.
- Pour cake batter over fruit.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven, turn upside down onto serving plate and garnish with maraschino cherries.