Microwavable Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Recipe By Roben Ryberg from the book "Gluten-Free in Five Minutes."
This recipe uses the white rice flour version of Yellow Cake poured atop a brown sugar and pineapple base. Then it is inverted after baking.
Photo Credit: Travis Pratt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 2½ tablespoons white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pineapple slice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (dark preferred)
- 1 maraschino cherry or several raisins
- Prepare the base.
- Spray a 2-cup ramekin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pineapple slice, brown sugar, and cherry or raisins in the bottom of the prepared ramekin. Set aside.
- In small bowl or cup, briefly beat egg until almost uniform in color.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour batter over prepared base and tap ramekin to level batter.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Cake will rise and then settle a little during baking.
- Gently remove from dish, invert, and cool.
Tips/TechniquesBaked in: 2-cup ramekin or other straight-sided microwave-safe bowl