Mozzarella Cheese Pizza
I've always loved pizza, but after I ate it in Italy, I learned how to make it myself. Hey - I might even open my own pizzeria!
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus more as needed)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings
- Note: If you don't want to make your own dough, you can buy a ball of pizza dough at the grocery store, and skip to step 6.
- Check with a grownup, and wash your hands before you begin.
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water in the small bowl, and let it sit until the yeast is foamy on top (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and olive oil in the larger bowl.
- Once the mixture in the small bowl is foamy, add it to the larger bowl and knead it with your hands. (Don't be afraid to get messy. It's fun!)
- If dough is really sticky, add more flour, a few tablespoons at a time, until the dough is just slightly sticky.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Knead the dough ball on a floured surface until it's smooth and you can roll it.
- Roll out the dough until it's 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. You can use a rolling pin or just stretch it with your hands. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfectly round. All shapes of pizza are tasty!
- Put the rolled-out dough on a baking sheet and top with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Using the oven mitts, put the pizza into the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Have a grownup take the pizza out of the oven, and let it cool off a bit. (Take it from me, this pizza could really burn your tongue!) While you wait, clean up the kitchen, especially if you made a mess with the flour.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to slice the pizza, and serve it up!
Rolling pin (optional)