- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks cinnamon broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- About 6 1/2 lbs plums pitted and quartered
- 2 large apples such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion peeled and finely diced
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, and salt. In a 6-inch square of cheesecloth, tie the cinnamon sticks, ginger, and allspice into a pouch and add it to the pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes syrupy.
- Add the plums, apples, and onions.
- Cook, stirring often, over low heat, until the mixture is thickened, about 40-60 minutes. Remove the spice bag. Seal in hot sterilized jars.