Plum Upside-Down Cake
Serve this cake with a dollop of homemade whipped cream.
Prep time: 40 Minutes
Total time: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 4 red plums (about 1 pound) halved and pitted, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin-pie spice
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place 3 tablespoons butter in an 8-inch round cake pan; melt in preheating oven, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle melted butter with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange overlapping plum wedges in a circle around edge of pan; repeat in center, covering bottom of pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together remaining 6 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and egg. Beat in sour cream until blended. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin-pie spice, and walnuts. Stir flour mixture into sour-cream mixture until just combined (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter evenly over plums. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, with whipped cream if desired.