Poached Cod with Tomatoes
This poached cod recipe appears in the "One-Pot Meals" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 pound small potatoes, preferably fingerling and purple, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 3 sprigs basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- 4 ounces snap peas, trimmed and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges, for serving
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- In a large sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid, bring broth, onion, 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, potatoes, basil sprigs, red-pepper flakes and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season cod with salt and pepper, add to broth mixture and cover, about 7 minutes.
- Remove and discard basil sprigs. Add peas, remaining ½ cup tomatoes, and lemon juice to skillet, gently stirring to combine; cook just until warmed through. Divide fish, vegetables and broth among 4 bowls. Garnish with basil leaves, drizzle with oil and serve with lemon wedges.