Poblanos Rellenos-Stuffed Poblano Chiles
Zarela Martinez makes poblanos rellenos-- stuffed poblano chiles for Julia Child on her classic cooking show In Julia's Kitchen with Master Chefs.
- For the Stuffing:
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried peaches
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground imported Ceylon cinnamon (if available) or
- 1 teaspoon regular ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded pork
- Salt to taste
- For the Chiles:
- 8 large fresh poblano chiles
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For Serving:
- Salsa de Tomate Asado (Roasted Tomato Sauce)
- Special Equipment Suggested:
- A heavy 12-inch frying pan
- A deep saucepan about 10 inches across and 8 inches deep
- An oiled baking sheet
- Preparing the Stuffing: Set frying pan over moderate heat, add butter, and stir in garlic and onions. When onions are tender and translucent, stir in the dried fruits and olives; continue cooking 3 minutes. Blend in the spices and pork, mixing well, and let cook 5 to 7 minutes. Taste carefully for seasoning.
- Frying the Chiles: Make a slit 1 to 1 1/2 inches long in each chile and dry in a kitchen towel. Pour 1/2 inch of oil into saucepan and set over high heat until oil is almost smoking. Being sure the chiles are completely dry, fry them 2 at a time, turning once or twice, until they puff up and take on an olive-beige color. Remove them from pan and continue with the remaining chiles. Peel chiles under cold running water and very gently pull out seeds through the slit, being sure not to tear the flesh. Set aside.
- Stuffing and Baking the Chiles: Preheat oven to 500 F. Stuff chiles through their slits. Arrange on oiled baking sheet and roast 7 to 8 minutes in the middle level of the preheated oven. They should just heat through.
- Serving: Spoon the tomato sauce onto individual plates or onto a large serving platter and arrange the warm chiles on top.