This "Poor Knights" recipe is an ancient way to make stale bread taste good again.
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup white or red wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners sugar to serve
- Cinnamon to serve
- Cut crusts off bread and cut into quarters. Place in a deep dish.
- In a bowl, mix eggs with wine, cinnamon and sugar. Pour over the bread and leave to soak for 3 minutes.
- Pour oil 1/2-inch deep into pan. Heat on medium high. Drain the bread and slide it into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar and ground cinnamon.