Recipe By Nicole Hunn from Gluten-Free on a Shoestring
These popovers offer a welcome change to the gluten-free diet. Pair these with a soup or salad for a savory treat.
(Photo Credit: Lisa Weatherbee)
Yield: 6 large, or 12 small, popovers
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk (low-fat is fine, nonfat is not), at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease well a 6-cup popover pan (or a regular muffin tin, if you don't have a popover pan) with unsalted butter and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the butter, eggs, and milk, whisking well after each addition until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin.
- Fill each of the wells in the pan just under halfway full. Place the pan in the center of the preheated oven and bake for a total of 30 minutes. After the first 20 minutes, with a sharp knife or with sharp kitchen shears, pierce the top of each popover to allow steam to escape so that the popovers are able to maintain their puffiness.
- Serve plain or with your favorite jam or preserves.