Pork Picnic Pies
Try this pork picnic pies recipe from Around the Farm Table.
- For the pastry:
- 1/2 pound lard
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 cups flour
- For the filling:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely minced herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, or sage
- To prepare the pastry: In a small saucepan, bring water and lard to a boil, stir until lard is dissolved. Place flour in a food processor, add the water and lard mixture slowly to the flour until just combined.
- Turn the pastry out into a bowl, cover with a tea towel to keep warm while preparing the filling.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, add ground pork and remaining ingredients.
- Remove 2/3rds of the pastry, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness. Using a biscuit cutter or small bowl, cut pasty into about 7 inch circles. Place circles in the muffin tins.
- Spoon pork mixture into the pastry lined tins pressing down and filling just over the tops of the tins.
- Remove remaining pastry from bowl. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 thick. Using a biscuit cutter or small bowl, cut pastry into 4 1/2 inch circles. Place pastry on top of the pork filling
- Brush the tops of the pies with an egg wash, then, put the pies in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Take the pies out of the oven and carefully lift each one out of the muffin tin and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Brush the sides of the pies all over with the egg wash then place them back in the oven at 400 for an additional 30 minutes.
- This will make 6 larger individual pies. For smaller pies use a traditional size muffin tin and cut out the pastry to fit.