Potato and Fennel Crusted Oysters with Mustard Dressing
Tip when schucking oysters: keep the oysters cold.
- 1 dozen oysters shucked
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbls. A.P. flour
- 1 baking potato peeled and shredded
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1/2 cup of shredded fennel
- 1 cup clarified butter
- NAPLES VALLEY MUSTARD DRESSING
- 2 tbls. mustard
- 1 tbls. mayonnaise
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 tbls. chopped chives
- juice of 1 lemon
- In a mixing bowl, mix the egg with flour, salt and pepper.
- In a colander, toss the potato, apple and onion and squeeze dry.
- Add the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Coat each oyster with the potato mixture, and brush with clarified butter, refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan heat 1/2 cup of oil, add oysters to the oil making sure not to let them touch.
- Fry the oysters over high heat until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn each oyster and fry until golden and crisp.
- Drain oysters on paper towels.
- Prepare mustard dressing: In a mixing bowl combine mustard, mayo, cayenne, vinegar and mix well.
- Slowly whisk in the oil, add the chives adjust seasoning with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.