This potato salad recipe is courtesy of Mildred Cannon, and is featured in the One Potato, New Potato episode of Season 3 of A Chef's Life.
- 5 pound bag of red potatoes
- 3-4 boiled eggs
- 1.5 Teaspoons of Durkees
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3-4 serving spoons of mayo
- 1 small onion (you’ll need about a ½ cup)
- Sweet salad cubes (you’ll need about 2/3 cup)
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Bring salted water to a boil in a large stock pot. Toss the potatoes into the boiling water. Boil until tender, approximately 15-20 minutes. While the potatoes are boiling, bring a smaller sauce pan of water to a boil. Boil 3-4 eggs. Once the eggs are done, take them out of the water and set them aside.
- Finely dice 1 small onion. Dice 2 stalks of celery. Peel the boiled eggs. Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them in a colander and then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add approximately 1 cup of sweet salad cubes to the potatoes.
- Add 1.5 teaspoons of Durkees. Add 3-4 serving spoons of mayo. Add in the onions, approximately ½ cup. Dice the eggs or use a cheese grater to add in the eggs. Once all of your ingredients have been added to the potatoes, use a large spoon to incorporate everything. Mix while potatoes are still hot. It’s important to mix from the bottom of the bowl. Be sure not to overmix.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate when cool.