Potatoes with Green Tomato Jam
by Ana Sortun
Mediterranean-inspired potatoes served with tahini, yogurt, and green tomato jam
- 16 yukon gold or red norlan potatoes about 2 pounds
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- 4 scallions washed and chopped fine
- 1 cup green tomato jam
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon Greek oregano
- 2 teaspoons Aleppo chiles (available at specialty spice stores) can substitute with 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepot covered with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork. The cooking time may vary according to the size of the potatoes. Remove the pan from the water and add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt and let stand for 5 minutes so that potatoes can absorb some salt.
- Meanwhile, mix the yogurt, tahini, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl with a whisk until well combined. Season well with salt to taste and set aside.
- Place the pan in the sink and run cold water over the potatoes until they chill through, about 5 minutes on a low stream. Drain the water when cool and cut the potatoes in half.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and season them with salt to taste. Stir in the olive oil and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 375°F or prepare a charcoal grill.
- Tear off a piece of parchment paper measuring approximately 14 inches long.
- Slice the potatoes in half and place 6 to 8 halves in the center of the parchment and wrap the potatoes up into a tight little package. Twist the top so that the bag is airtight and it looks like a little balloon. Wrap the paper with foil if you are using a charcoal grill.
- Repeat until all the potatoes are wrapped in paper parcels. Place them on a baking sheet and then into the oven to steam for about 15 minutes or until hot. If using a charcoal grill, you can place them right onto the grill and they will take 6 to 8 minutes to get steamy and they might brown nicely on the bottom. When the potatoes are hot, remove the foil if using and cut the top of the bag open.
- Top each bag of potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the tahini yogurt mixture and 2 tablespoons of green tomato jam.
- Sprinkle generously with scallions and serve.
- Coriander, Sesame, and Oregano Topping: Mix well and sprinkle generously over the potatoes Ingredients
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #3302.
Recipe courtesy of Ana Sortun
© 2008 Ana Sortun