Lidia Bastianich samples New Orleans food and makes music with Mardi Gras Indians when she attends a New Orleans wedding in Lidia Celebrates America: Weddings: Something Borrowed, Something New.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light cream
- 1 ½ cups pecans, halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine sugars and cream in a heavy 2-quart saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a thick syrup.
- Add pecans and butter and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove sauce pan to a heatproof surface (such as a wire rack) and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a tablespoon to drop rounded balls of the mixture onto a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil, leaving about 3 inches between each ball, allowing for pralines to spread. Allow to cool.