- 2 round or oval loaves country bread (1 pound each) split and hollowed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) oil-packed roasted red peppers
- 12 ounces salami thinly sliced
- 12 ounces provolone cheese thinly sliced
- 2 bunches arugula (about 6 ounces each), washed well and thick stems removed (about 10 cups)
- Brush cut sides of halved bread loaves with oil from jar of roasted peppers. Dividing evenly, layer bottom bread halves with roasted peppers, salami, cheese, and arugula; top with remaining bread halves.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly with plastic, and press: Lay wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet. Position another baking sheet on top, and weight with heavy canned goods or a large skillet. Let stand for one hour, pressing down occasionally with hands.
- Refrigerate wrapped sandwiches until ready to serve, up to 1 day. To serve, cut into wedges.