Prosciutto and Fig Spread Sandwich
Happy National Sandwich Day! We have several sandwich recipes you can try including this one with delicious prosciutto.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Total time: 15 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 baguette or Italian bread
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 8 thin slices Asiago cheese
- 8 to 12 arugula leaves
- 1 package (10 ounces) dried Calimyrna figs stemmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Make fig spread: In a medium saucepan, combine figs with sugar and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until most of liquid has evaporated and figs are easily pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, about 20 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor; add lemon juice. Puree until smooth (add up to 1/4 cup additional water, if needed, to thin to desired consistency).
- Cut 1 baguette or Italian bread into four 5-to-6-inch pieces; split each piece horizontally.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons Fig Spread on all 8 halves; layer 4 halves with 2 slices prosciutto, 2 thin slices Asiago cheese, and 2 or 3 leaves of arugula. Top with remaining bread halves. Serve.