This recipe shows how to put an autumn spin on cornbread with pumpkin. Watch Donna Reynolds make pumpkin cornbread in this video clip from Carolina Outdoor Journal.
- 6 tablespoons of butter melted
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 T corn flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- ¼ t pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- whipped butter, optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously brush a 12-inch cast iron skillet with the 2 tablespoons of butter; set aside remaining butter.
- In large mixing bowl combine cornmeal, sugar, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another bowl combine remaining butter, buttermilk, sour cream, egg and pumpkin; whisk into cornmeal mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted off-center comes out clean. Cool on wore rack. Serve with warm with whipped butter.